Here for Training and Education
We're here to increase the amount of LGBTQ+ culturally competent providers, businesses, academic institutions, government agencies, and organizations throughout Western New York. We offer LGBTQ+ Cultural Competency Trainings and presentations to those interested in having members of their staff trained on sensitivity towards the thoughts, feelings, and experiences of their LGBTQ+ customers/clients/students/patients and co-workers. Trainings are not meant to persuade anyone to agree with particular lifestyles – we all have different beliefs and come from different backgrounds - but CCT does aim to provide people with knowledge and information to help everyone learn to respect each other, despite our differences.
Our curriculum is tailored to meet the needs of those requesting the trainings. We will work with you to meet your goals for staff development. Cultural competency trainings benefit participants by providing concrete information and real-world examples to enlighten participants in ways that lead to a more equal, affirming, and productive environment. This type of training helps to address considerations such as improving communication, creating safer space, developing tolerance, and enhancing learning and work environments.
LEARNING OBJECTIVES MAY INCLUDE:
- Defining and discussing LGBTQ+ terminology
- Recognizing the difference between sex & gender
- Understanding aspects of identity
- Understanding how beliefs/feelings/values perpetuate oppression
- Understanding the impact of homophobia, heterosexism, and transphobia on LGBTQ+ people
- Addressing concerns such as bullying, confidentiality, and gendered spaces
- Reviewing current legislation and policies relevant to LGBTQ+ populations
- Understanding what it means to be LGBTQ+ affirmative and create safe, welcoming, and culturally aware space
All funds received from speaking engagements are used to further our mission. Speaking fees are an important and much-needed revenue source to sustain our field education services. We are particularly sensitive to the needs of nonprofit organizations and those with limited funds.
$25 per person for students; non-profits with operating budgets less than
$50 per person for businesses/for profit organizations
Fees include course completion certificates for each participant, digital course booklet, and PDF of terminology worksheet. See FAQ